Thursday, January 21, 2010

Touhou Typing Reverie



Genre: Typing
Dimensions: 2D
Setting: Visual Novel
Players: 1


Considering that I started making reviews of doujin games I had to do this one. Years passed since the first time I played this game, I hardly managed to find the name of this game again.

Touhou Typing Reverie is like the name says a typing game, you see letters, words and  characters and must type them like a super human. The first time I played this game I was mercilessly beaten again and again, and once I finished that stage the next one had 3 battle against the same enemy in one go, I played and played, it was frustrating, and with all my skills I managed just to complete half of the words required before time runs out.

So years after that I accidently hit space and figured out that if you press space before typing  the word you type will count as 2 (also if you make a mistake it’ll do double the damage). And then I finished easy without a retry.

Still this game is very fun and entertaining. The words you get aren’t English instead they are Japanese and there is a lot of English words in Japanese (making it hard to forcefully type English words wrong – like sofutoku-rimu instead of soft cream). There is a lot of dialog in-between stages and by holding enter it can quickly be skipped. The game starts out by typing syllables, with a mini game after that where you type falling letters, and then you fight enemies by typing what is written, there is always some new twist to the stage and it’s never boring. In one stage the lights keep going out and you must type as quickly as possible when they are on, in another stage each mistake freezes you for a couple of seconds, when you fight against a rabbit girl most of her words are usagi (meaning rabbit in Japanese). There is always enough variety for it to never feel monotonous.

The graphics are 2D and pretty cute. The game plays out as a visual novel, during the typing parts text is at the bottom and characters are at the top.

If you want to practice typing using a fun and interesting game which at the same time is challenging this is a great must for you, but even if you are not into typing games you might enjoy it.


Graphics: They look just like in any visual novel, but really what would you expect from a game where you type text?

Controls: If you know how to type you know how to play. I had no problems with the controls at all.

Story: A lot of dialog between every stage, a lot of different characters.  Everything is in Japanese.

Gameplay: Fun and educational, you’ll have a hard time to find that somewhere else.

Replay value: I could play the same stage over and over. I think the game will always be fun and exciting except if you are an expert typist then this game probably will be boring with the first play through.

Best moment: Finding out the spacebar does something.



Official site: http://www.geocities.jp/hrhkd234/yoshii/siou/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment